SB NIAGARA is a 79-ton Thames sailing barge, built by Forrestt at Wivenhoe, Essex, England in 1898. She originally worked for construction and dredging work at Tilbury, and then for the London and Rochester Trading Company. She carried cargo on the lower Thames and the English Channel. An auxiliary motor was fitted in 1924.
In 1970, she underwent a restoration project at Battersea, and in 1998 she was sold to Deptford Community Centre. In 2001, she was sold to her current owner, who had initially been asked to cut her up but decided she was too good to scrap, as the barge’[s fine lines caught his eye.
She was moved to Hoo for restoration, where a new bottom, side plating, coaming tops were fitted, a 1986 Mercedes Benz inboard diesel engine was installed, and a fit out below and full re-rig were done. This project was completed in 2012 and she has since been one of the most regular barge match attendees, enjoying many successes.
Built by Forrestt at Wivenhoe, Essex
- 1924 An auxiliary motor was fitted
Underwent a restoration project at Battersea
- 1998 Sold to Deptford Community Centre
Sold to current owner, who began a restoration project
Restoration project completed
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org