Registration number 3826
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Previous names

  • 1948 - 1959 Ierland
  • 1959 - 1962 Contractor
  • 1962 - 1964 Phoenix
  • 1964 - 1976 GW 94
  • 1976 - 1998 Accomplice
  • 1998 - 2006 Red Duchess
  • 2006 - 2007 Duchess of Troon

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Benfleet
Vessel type Tug
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes

Construction

Builder Scheepswerf Gebroeders Fikkers, Martenshoek
Built in 1944
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 3
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Petrol
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
18.70 feet (5.70m)
Depth
12.47 feet (3.80m)
Length: Overall
73.49 feet (22.40m)
Tonnage: Gross
79.00

History

The tug boat KNIGHTON was built by Scheepswerf Gebroeders Fikkers of Martenshoek, the Netherlands in 1944, and finished in 1948 by NV Boele & Oosterwijk, Rotterdam. She was originally known as IERLAND and owned by A Jonsten of Millingen, the Netherlands. She was originally fitted with a 390 bhp 4 stroke 6-cyl MWM oil engine.

In 1953, she was sold to Anglo-Iranian Oil Co Ltd, London, which then became British Petroleum. She was owned by them until 1959, when she was purchased by N.V. Handel-, Exploitatie- & Administratie Maatschappij, the Netherlands, being renamed CONTRACTOR. In 1962, she was renamed PHOENIX.

In 1964, she was purchased by George Wimpey & Co Ltd, London for operation in Nigeria, and was renamed GW 94. In 1967, she was transferred to Wimpey (Marine) Ltd, London, being based at Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth.

In 1975, she was acquired by Husbands Shipyard Ltd, Southampton, who renamed her ACCOMPLICE the following year. At this point, she was re-engined with 660bhp 4 stroke 8-cyl Lister Blackstone diesel engine.

In 1998, she was purchased by Taylor & Taylor of Troon and renamed RED DUCHESS. In 2006 was sold to Trans-Euro Navigation and renamed DUCHESS OF TROON, being based at Oban. In 2007, she was purchased by Griffin Towage, Poole, who renamed her KNIGHTON. Sometime after 2016, she was purchased by Whitstable Marine Services.

In 2024, she was purchased by Marine Services Transport Boat Charter Ltd, her current owners. She is now available for commercial charter as a tug boat and can be used to carry up to 12 passengers. 

Key dates

  • 1944

    Construction starts by Scheepswerf Gebroeders Fikkers of Martenshoek, the Netherlands

  • 1948

    Launched after construction finishes, final stage by NV Boele & Oosterwijk of Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Named IERLAND and owned by A Jonsten of Millingen aan de Rijn, the Netherlands

  • 1953

    Purchased by Anglo-Iranian Oil Co Ltd, London, soon to be British Petroleum 

  • 1959

    Purchased by N.V. Handel-, Exploitatie- & Administratie Maatschappij, the Netherlands, and renamed CONTRACTOR

  • 1962

    Renamed PHOENIX

  • 1964

    Purchased by George Wimpey & Co Ltd, London, for operation in Nigeria and renamed GW 94

  • 1975

    Purchased by Husbands Shipyard Ltd, Southampton, who renamed her ACCOMPLICE the following year. Re-engined with 660bhp 4 stroke 8-cyl Lister Blackstone diesel engine

  • 1998

    Purchased by Taylor & Taylor of Troon and renamed RED DUCHESS

  • 2006

    Purchased by Trans-Euro Navigation and renamed DUCHESS OF TROON

  • 2007

    Purchased by Griffin Towage, Poole, and renamed KNIGHTON

  • 2016

    Purchased by Whitstable Marine Services

  • 2024

    Purchased by current owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

starboard side view

Registered, built 1962 by Cook, James W, Wivenhoe

starboard bow view

Registered, built 1954 by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

Daniel Adamson at Anderton Boat Lift - 2022 photo Comp entry

National Historic Fleet, built 1903 by Tranmere Bay Development Co, Birkenhead

Cervia at Ramsgate 2021

National Historic Fleet, built 1945 by Hall, Alexander & Company Ltd, Aberdeen.