Previous names
- 1952 - 1990 Showery
- 1990 - 2019 Pablo
Details
Construction
Dimensions
History
SHOWERY is a 38ft tugboat built by James W Cook Ltd., Wivenhoe, Essex, for towing Thames lighters and for working in the East London Docks. Her original engine was a Ruston & Hornsby type MWKR, but she was fitted with her current Gardner 6lxb very early in her service life.
In 1958 she was taken over by Cory Lighterage Ltd., then in 1961 to Mercantile Lighterage Co Ltd. In 1983 she was sold to J. Read, then in 1987 to Hastings Brothers of Brentwood. This marks the end of her working life. She was known to have worked in West India Docks.
In the 1990s, SHOWERY was sold to London artist Max Couper and renamed PABLO, as part of The Couper Collection London. Moored in Chelsea, the Couper Collection consisted of a fleet of nine traditional Thames lighters and a Thames Tosher tug, making a floating arts centre and exhibition space. From 1992-2014, they hosted exhibited artwork & installations by Couper - created in situ on his Thames studio barges over 3 decades - and a programme of live events, exhibitions, discussions, art education, children’s artwork & ecology.
PABLO was retrofitted with sides and davitts and exhibited as part of Couper’s solo exhibitions and performances at the Museum of Contemporary Art Antwerp in 1996. In 1997 Couper sailed PABLO from London to Germany for an installation at the Sprengel Museum, Hanover, when, from a crane, an imprint of her hull was cast out of clay and sand, within the Sprengel Museum itself.
Her history after this is fairly unknown until around 2019 when she was purchased by the Tower Bridge moorings at Reeds Wharf. In 2026 she was sold again and has moved to Cody Dock on Bow Creek in East London, where she is temporarily moored before being put on hard standing in mid 2026 to be fully restored and potentially used as a working tug boat again.
Key dates
-
1952
Built by James W Cook Ltd of Wivenhoe, Essex, to work on the East London Docks towing Thames lighters
-
1958
Taken over by Cory Lighterage Ltd
-
1961
Taken over by Mercantile Lighterage Co Ltd
-
1983
Sold to J Read
-
1987
Sold to Hastings Brothers of Brentwood
-
1990s
Sold to London artist Max Couper, who renamed her PABLO, and became a part of The Couper Collection
-
1996
Retrofitted with sides and davitts and exhibited at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Antwerp
-
1997
Sailed from London to Germany for an installation at the Sprengel Museum, Hanover
-
2019
Purchased by the Tower Bridge moorings at Reeds Wharf
-
2026
Purchased by current owner and moved to Cody Dock, Bow Creek, London, to be restored and potentially used as a working tug boat
Sources
Max Couper Collection website: https://maxcoupercollection.uk/
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk