- 1930 - 1940 Sylvia
- 1940 Sylvia IV
- 1940 - 1945 Mylodon
- 1945 - 1948 Sylvia
- 1948 - 1958 Mananui
WENDY KEN was built for Mr W J Anstey during 1930 (Lloyds No 5871 of 1930) to the design of Mr L J Lambert, Naval Architect at the yard of Southampton Launch and Boat Company of Bitterne Manor, Southampton, adjacent to the slipways of Rampart Boat Builders.
WENDY KEN was launched during May 1930 and returned to the yard during 1933/34 and lengthened, changing from a Transom stern into a countered canoe stern of 44ft, 7.5ins LOA (Lloyds 5851 of 1934).
Records show that SYLVIA was requisitioned by the Ministry of War Transport (MOWT) on 31st May 1940 and due to the number of craft with the same name was changed to SYLVIA IV, then again later to MYLODON. Records also show that Mr Anstey was paid the fee of 12 pounds and operated under Auxiliary Patrol duties.
She took part in the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, surviving machine gun attacks and a fire on board. After her involvement, repairs sustained on her return from the beaches were carried out for the sum of 83 pounds, 12 shillings and 6 d. Her duties then changed to miscellaneous port duties under Naval Control at Lowestoft as off-shore submarine Net Patrol. The Harbour Master at Ramsgate later recalls her return to the harbour damaged.
On 31st May 1945, operating throughout World War Two under control of MOWT the MYLODON was renamed back to her original name, SYLVIA and laid up to await being sold or alternative fate.
In March 1946, records show SYLVIA was returned to Mr Anstey for the endorsed fee of 1 shilling.
During 1948, her name changed to MANANUI (Lloyds no. 7913 of 1948) and was owned by Mr R Colebrook and moored on the River Thames. During 1952, W Bates and Sons of Chertsey rebuilt the wheelhouse after a small fire.
In 1958, SYLVIA came under the ownership of Mr B Harpur MD of Silverdale Motors, Tunbridge Wells and renamed after his two children Wendy and Ken. In 1962 the vessel had her original Detroit Grays 6 cylinder petrol engine changed to twin BMC 2.2hp diesel engines at the Yalding Boatworks. In 1984, WENDY KEN came under the ownership of the current owner and had her engines upgraded in 1994 to twin Ford FSD non-turbo 4cyl 75 hp.
While under the current ownership, the vessel has been recorded in numerous books, magazines, greeting cards and the media.
During her role as a Dunkirk Little Ship she has carried out numerous events and returns to Dunkirk, with her last visit being to Chatham Dock Yard in 2014.
Source: current owner, June 2015
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
Built for Mr A. J. Anstey of BMC Garages to design of Mr L.J. Lambert at Southampton Launch and Boat Co., Bitterne Manor
Returned to yard for lengthening, changing from Transom stern to countered canoe stern
Requisitioned by Ministry of War Transport (MOWT) and name changed to SYLVIA IV, then to MYLODON
Took part in Dunkirk evacuation, surviving machine gun attacks and a fire on board
Under Naval Control at Lowestoft as an off-shore submarine Net Patrol vessel
Renamed back to original name SYLVIA and laid up to await being sold or alternative fate
Returned to her original owner, Mr Anstey
Purchased by Mr R. Colebrook, name changed to MANANUI, and moored on River Thames
W. Bates and Sons of Chertsey rebuilt the wheelhouse after a small fire
Purchased by Mr Bert Harpur of Silverdale Motors, Tunbridge Wells, and renamed after his children Wendy and Ken
Original Detroit Grays petrol engine changed to twin BMC diesel engines at Yalding Boatworks
Purchased by current owners, Ian and Doreen Pearson, as live aboard at Rochester
Engines upgraded to twin Ford FSD non-turbo 4 cylinder 75 hp
Visited Chatham Dock Yard in role as Dunkirk Little Ship
A Sustainability Grant of £2,000 for restoration work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org