Family Pride is a motor sailer Fifie Ketch. Built in 1932 in the MacDuff Boatyard in North East Scotland by J Stephen and Son and named Bloom, INS 217. She was built as fishing vessel and owned John Wood, John Smith, Edward Meldrum, William Cormack and Jessie Campbell: Alexander Campbell changed the ownership to his wife Jessie Campbell in 1934. She was fished using Seine and Drift nets on the North East coast. In 1946 Donald Colquhoun an Army Officer from Loch Lomond bought her for the Loch Lomond Fishing Company and the skipper changed from John Wood to James Innes.
In 1950 Joseph Napier Cargill, Walter Cargill and Joseph Napier Cargill Junior bought the boat in Elgin Market Green Auction and changed her name to Family’s Pride after the Cargill’s previous Family’s Pride had been sunk by a U-boat in 1917 off Peterhead. She was moved to Arbroath and continued fishing. The engine was changed from Gardner 48HP to the current engine Gardner 6L3. It was during this time Family’s Pride was the subject of a jig written by Lindsay Ross, a local composer.
In 1986 she was decommissioned as a fishing vessel, stripped and sold to Edward Stancliffe. Based in Broadford Skye he had her coded and modified for sail cruising and then taken to Malta to be used as a charter. After a short season she was sailed back to Skye. Family’s pride then became the centre of a community boat project operated by Dundee-based Caroline House Trust. She was loaned to the group for 3 years and arrived at Tayport on August 25 1996, having taken six days to sail from Skye via the Caledonian Canal. The intention was for youngsters throughout Fife and Tayside to be able to learn a variety of seagoing skills, as well as teamwork, on board the vessel. Family’s Pride would be made available for charter on a commercial basis, with the primary goal of fund raising and sponsorship. Over 40 volunteers worked on her during this time.
In 2005 she was sold to Roderick and Valerie Monson and was taken to Northern Ireland to be used as a private vessel, based out of Ringhaddy. On the 29th February 2016 she was sold to Charlotte Bosanquet and Stephen Morrissey and moved to Belfast Harbour then on to Rathlin Island where she is being restored.
Rankin, Mike, St Andrews Citizen: Vessel lands new role to benefit youngsters, pp12, September 1996
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org