Certificate no 722
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Barrow-in-Furness
Vessel type Pleasure Yacht
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address www.dockmuseum.org.uk

Construction

Builder Ashburners, Richard, Barrow in Furness
Built in 1887
Hull material Wood
Rig Bermudan Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
7.61 feet (2.32 m)
Depth
5.90 feet (1.80 m)
Length: Overall
39.57 feet (12.07 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

In 1899, WHITE ROSE was built in Barrow by the Ashburner Brothers as a gaff cutter. She was originally a 30 foot cutter of 6 tons, carrying just under 700 square feet of sail. Before long, she was lengthened three times, doubling her tonnage and bringing her to 39ft 6ins overall. With this increase in hull size came more sail, so that in her final form, the Ashburners raced her with two jibs, a gaff topsail and a mainsail totalling 900 square feet. The Ashburners, both in their sixties by then, raced her themselves and were invincible in local races. Shortly after 1914, Thomas Ashburner died and WHITE ROSE was sold. Her new owner removed the keel in 1916 to take advantage of the inflated price of lead. In 1918, WHITE ROSE was sold again and not sailed again until 1925. She was then raffled, being in a decrepit state and was won by a local yachtsman, Dr. Coffey. She was refitted, but with an iron keel. She re-entered the local racing scene and won most of her races. In 1928, WHITE ROSE won the record for the passage from Douglas to Piel Island. In 1943, Dr Coffey sold WHITE ROSE for 1 shilling to Jack Taylor, who used to help crew her. She was then laid up until 1949 at Millom. She was bought and restored but with a more modern sailplan of a 450 sq. ft. mainsail and 150 sq. ft. jib. In 1973, WHITE ROSE won the North West Veterans and Old Gaffers Race. In 1987, Fred Rollinson sold her for £1 to the Furness Maritime Trust which became the Dock Museum. In 2007 she was craned inside the Dock Museum for a conservation programme, completion is planned for 2009. The intention is to display WHITE ROSE looking as she did in her heyday in the 1910s. On 24 April 2007, WHITE ROSE moved inside the Dock Museum, to the bottom floor. In November that year, phase one of her conservation started with: removal of paint, removal of interior (and storage) to enable inspection of frames and apron, removal of mild steel fixtures, removal (and storage) of rudder for inspection of shaft, removal of deck (and storage), cleaning of interior timbers by hand and sealing of all timbers. The following year, in November 2008, phase two continued with the structural stage. Work included removal of the deck, replacement of the rotten wood in the stern post with seasoned Cumbrian oak (as the original) and replacement of some metal frames with wood. The final phase was undertaken in 2009 and saw the project completed and WHITE ROSE safeguarded for future generations

Sources

The Dock Museum Guide Book, Barrow Borough Council Museum Service

Key dates

  • 1887

    Designed, built and owned by Ashburner Brothers of Barrow in Furness

  • 1887-1909

    Took part in and won many races in area

  • 1916

    Sold during First World War and lead keel removed and sold for scrap

  • 1925

    Restored after being found semi-derelict and fitted with a new iron keel

  • 1928

    Set record of 6hr 5mins for passage between Douglas Isle of Man and Piel

  • 1949

    Bought by Fred Rollinson and refitted as a Bermudian cutter

  • 1973

    Won the North West Veterans and Old Gaffers Race

  • 1988

    Donated to Furness Maritime Trust

  • 2007

    Moved inside the Dock Museum, Barrow-in-Furness

  • 2008

    Decking removed, stern post wood replaced and  some metal frames replaced with wood

  • 2009

    Conservation project completed and vessel on public display

Grants

  • April-September 2010

    A Sustainability Award of ú1000 for remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Growler, pre-restoration/undergoing restoration

Registered, built 1921 by Unknown

Sibyl of Cumae under sail

Registered, built 1902 by Fife, William & Son, Fairlie

Earraid - starboard view

Registered, built 1948 by Morris & Lorimer, Sandbanks

Darag - bow view

Registered, built 1938 by Hillyard, David, Littlehampton