Certificate no 751
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Dredger
Location Brightlingsea
Vessel type Essex Smack
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Harris Brothers, Rowhedge
Built in 1900
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.98 feet (3.35 m)
Depth
5.51 feet (1.68 m)
Length: Overall
41.87 feet (12.77 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built in 1900 by Harris of Rowhedge, ELLEN is a carvel built fishing smack, rigged as a gaff cutter. She was built for Mr Martin, a Rowhedge fisherman, and was purely a sailing vessel until 1927 when her first engine was fitted – a Thornycroft 9 hp petrol/paraffin engine. It is thought that in her early years she was used for pleasure in the summer and fishing in the winter. After several changes of ownership, though always working in the East Coast area, she sank at her mooring near Felixstowe around 1973.

She was raised and taken to Ipswich, where she was vandalised, and then to Woodbridge. A succession of owners attempted to restore her and eventually she was purchased by a Trustee of the Colne Smack Preservation Society in 1987. Taken to Brightlingsea and surveyed, she was then transported to Oliver Walstons Farm in Thriplow, Cambridge and was rebuilt in 1991.

She is now based in Brightlingsea.

Sources

Leather, John, Saltwater Village
Benham, Harvey, The Stowboater

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Speedwell - boat repairs

Registered, built 1901 by King, William & Sons, Burnham on Crouch

starboard side

Registered, built 1909 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

FLY under sail, bow view

Fly

Archived, built 1842 by Unknown

Sybil of Wivenhoe - tacking flying jib

Archived, built 1901 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea