Certificate no 1399
Status National Historic Fleet


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Newark
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes


Builder Staniland & Co, Thorne
Built in 1938
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
10.50 feet (3.20 m)
4.25 feet (1.30 m)
Length: Overall
43.75 feet (13.34 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


The motor yacht GULARIS was built by Staniland & Co, Thorne, to a specification by Charles Hyland and Arthur Comben during 1937/8. She was used as a floating test bed for Hyland Hydraulics just prior to the war and during it. Equipped with two 25/40hp Hylander paraffin units, fitted with the same maker's hydraulic controls, her equipment also included a hydraulic windlass and capstan and a power-operated electric hydraulic steering-gear. Captain Hyland sold the vessel in 1949 to Mr. Percy Cliff to tow the Sea Scout whaler out to sea at Bridlington for open sea training. GULARIS has been fully restored in the yard of her birth.

We are currently seeking further information on this National Historic Fleet vessel. If you have any details about this vessel past or present, please contact us.


Yachtmans Annual and Who's Who Twin-Screw Hyland Cruiser GULARIS, 1938

Key dates

  • 1938

    Vessel built by Staniland & Co., Thorne

  • 1939-1945

    Used as a floating test bed for Hyland Hydraulics

  • 1949

    Vessel sold and used to tow the Sea Scout whaler out to sea at Bridlington

  • 1995

    Re-launched after hull restoration

  • 2005

    Used as an RYA Training Centre vessel and for private use

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Albaquila sailing

Registered, built 1947 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G