Certificate no 1406
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Nottingham
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Archive reason More information required
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Taylor & Bates, James, Chertsey
Built in 1930
Hull material Wood
Rig Ketch
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
12.98 feet (3.96 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
46.98 feet (14.33 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

WHITE ASTER II is a ketch rigged motor yacht built by James Tayler & Bates at Bridge Wharf, Chertsey in 1930. Her official number is 161392. Her hull is carvel built, fastened with copper nails. She has a pointed bow and stern, with a plumb straight stem. Her current engine is a BMC 5.6L, with six cylinders and eighty-six horsepower, made in 1973. It is believed that she served with the Royal Navy during World War Two. She has now been fully restored and is in prime condition. A refit in 1995 included the recreation of a period galley and all her interior is now in its original state. In 1998, work was carried out in the engine room.

Update, March 2021: Vessel reported "in a pitiful state" by member of the public at Redhill Marina, Nottingham. Further enquiries confirmed that she sank at her moorings in Poplar in September 2020 but due to red tape it took the River Canal Rescue organisation until March 2021 to be able to recover her. 

Update, May 2021: WHITE ASTER II is now under new private ownership, and the owner intends to restore her. 
 

We are lacking information about this particular vessel.  If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

Key dates

  • 1930

    Built as a motor yacht by James Tayler & Bates at Bridge Wharf, Chertsey 

  • 1934

    Owned by Walter Ronbinson Handforth between 1934 and 1956 

  • 1939

    Vessel served with RNVR during Second World War on patrol around Anglesey

  • 1995

    A refit included the recreation of a period galley

  • 1998

    Extensive work carried out in the engine room

  • 2000

    Change of ownership from Niamh Goddard to David Cornish

  • September 2020

    Sank at her moorings in Poplar

  • May 2021

    Under new private ownership

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Albaquila sailing

Registered, built 1947 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G