VALDORA is a gaff ketch, designed and built by A. M. Dickie & Sons Ltd. at Bangor in 1935. Her official number was 164232 and her hull is carvel built of Burma teak planking on grown oak frames, then rove and clench fastened. Her current engine is a SCANIA DN II diesel, with six cylinders and 134.28 kilowatts, made in 1996. She was built for Mr R.H. Turner of Turner & Newham and originally had a Gleniffer six cylinder engine. She carried a twelve foot launch and a fourteen foot sailing dinghy on deck. All bulkheads were fitted with one inch Newall's Paxfelt Limpet Board and asbestos panelling, flush fitted to deaden the sound and make the ship entirely fireproof. A carbon dioxide fire fighting plant was also installed with three control valves at three points. Heating was arranged in all the cabins with hot-water radiators fed from a boiler in the large galley forward, where there was also an Electrolux cold cabinet. In the cabins, the decoration was generally in ivory glazed asbestos board, picked out with thin teak beading. VALDORA was sold in 1963 and again in 1975. The present owner acquired her in 1979 and has since cruised extensively in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. She has two sister-ships known as DELIA and KERYNIA, both with Bermudan rigs, built in 1937 and 1958 by Millers of St Monance. Both the sister-ships are still in service. VALDORA is featured in Uffa Fox's book ‘Racing, Cruising and Design’.
Fox, Uffa, Racing, Cruising and Design
Yachting World: Valdora - a motor sailer, 18 October 1935
Designed and built by A M Dickie & Sons Ltd at Bangor for Mr R.H. Turner of Turner & Newham
Change of ownership
Change of ownership
Acquired by present owner
Cruised extensively in the Meditteranean and Caribbean
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org