DUNLEARY was the first motor lifeboat provided by the civil service fund and has an excellent wartime rescue history. She was built in 1919 and was named by the Countess of Fingall in honour of her launching place. She remained stationed in Dun Loaghaire, Ireland, until 1939 and made a total of 81 launches, saving 85 lives. Her war service was at Lytham and in those years alone she made 34 launches, rescuing 28 people. She was sold out of service at Sunderland and converted to a motor sailer by Lambies Boatbuilders.
DUNLEARY was bought by her present owners in 1970, much in need of a thorough overhaul of her cabin superstructure. The hull was in good condition, but a new trawler-style wheelhouse has since been built and fitted.
As of 2018, the vessel has been brought back to her former station of Dun Laoire on the East Coast of Ireland, there's a project underway to restore her to her former glory.
Built by J Samuel White & Co of East Cowes, Isle of Wight as a Lifeboat for the Civil Service No7 Lifeboat Fund
Served as a Lifeboat in Kingston, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
Served as a Lifeboat in Lytham-St-Annes. In her career as a Lifeboat, she was launched 81 times and saved 85 lives
Sold to a Port Authority doctor in Sunderland and converted to a motor sailor
Bought by Mr Jack B Belfield and Ms Pat Jopling. A complete overhaul of the cabin superstructure carried out. It was fitted with an engine that seized and replaced with a 5.1 BMC Sealord 106 HP 6-Cyl Diesel
She was moved from the River Wear to the River Tyne
Refitted on the River Tyne
She was moved to Warkworth Harbour Commission Yard at Amble, Northumberland after vandalism
Vessel is thought to be in fair condition in the WHC Yard Amble adjacent to the RNLI Station
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org