Certificate no 2484
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Nottingham
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Haywood, Leigh on Sea
Built in 1923
Hull material Wood
Rig Sloop
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Air Draft
5.50 feet (1.37 m)
Breadth: Beam
11.08 feet (3.36 m)
Depth
3.50 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
38.00 feet (11.59 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00

History

JUMBO is a motor yacht of timber carvel construction, pitch pine on oak frames with a Coventry diesel engine type KF. She was built in 1923 by Wm. Haywood of Leigh on Sea. The vessel was built for a master stevedore for pleasure and kept at Brightlingsea where it cruised the English Channel. It won the London to Cowes race in 1938. The vessel was called up for war service during World War II as a tender to a minesweeper in and around Harwich. After the war it continued cruising the south coast with its original owner. JUMBO had a paid skipper from 1923 until the outbreak of World War II and later until 1969 when her original owner had to sell her due to failing health.

Key dates

  • 1923

    Built by William Haywood of Leigh on Sea

  • 1938

    Vessel won the London to Cowes Race

  • 1939

    Called up for war service

  • 1941

    New engine installed, a Coventry Climax, type KL, 2 stroke, supercharged diesel

  • 1947

    Vessel returned from Royal Navy to private owner

  • 2000

    Found abandoned in a marina in the Midlands, in poor condition

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G

Delfino on mooring at Rhu

Registered, built 1965 by Atrill & Sons, H