Previous names

  • 2010 Ishbarra
Certificate no 2558
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Anstruther
Vessel type Watson Class Lifeboat
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall
Built in 1904
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Manpower
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None


Length: Overall
38.00 feet (11.58 m)
Breadth: Beam
9.30 feet (2.83 m)
4.60 feet (1.40 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


The third Lifeboat to be stationed at Anstruther on the Firth of Forth, Scotland, JAMES & MARY WALKER arrived in Anstruther on 30 July 1904 on a horse drawn carriage having travelled by rail from London. 

The vessel successfully completed many recorded rescues during her service and local family connections still exist in Anstruther.  After many years of use, change of name and neglect, she was abandoned in a boat yard on the Isle of Anglesey.  She was obtained in 2010 and brought back to Anstruther with assistance from the RNLI for transportation and Fife Council for the use of a storage area.

The vessel is now undergoing conservation in a local barn in Anstruther.  The James & Mary Walker Community Restoration Project group has been formed with the Lifeboat Coxswain as Chairman and is actively undertaking the management of the project. 



Key dates

  • 1904 Vessel built at Thames Iron Works, London
  • 1930-1933 Vessel served at Anstruther

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

St Andrew

Registered, built 1951 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Pentland 2021

Registered, built 1957 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Helen Smitton in her heyday

Registered, built 1910 by Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall

Joseph Soar - Steaming to Douarnenez, France

Registered, built 1962 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight