Previous names

  • 1961 - 1989 Laura Moncur
  • 1989 - 2012 Chizz
  • 2012 Laura Moncur
Certificate no 2658
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Lowestoft
Vessel type Watson Class Lifeboat
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes
Built in 1960
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Length: Overall
47.00 feet (14.33 m)
Breadth: Beam
13.60 feet (3.96 m)
4.60 feet (1.40 m)
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Tonnage: Gross


LAURA MONCUR is a Watson 47 lifeboat built by Groves and Gutteridge of Cowes Isle of Wight in 1960. She is of double diagonal construction, has a mahogany hull  and is powered by twin Gardner 5LW diesel engines.

The vessel was built for the RNLI and went into service in June 1961 at Buckie, Scotland where she remained in service until 1984. After 4 years in the RNLI relief fleet she was sold out of service in 1988.

LAURA MONCUR was the first Watson 47 class to be converted to be self-righting, undertaken in 1971/1974.

She was relaunched in May 2015, following a 2.5 year restoration.

Key dates

  • 1960

    Built by Groves and Gutteridge of Cowes Isle of Wight for the RNLI

  • 1961

    Arrived on station at Buckie, inspected by HM The Queen

  • 1972

    Sent to W Osbourne's yard at Littlehampton for conversion to inherent self righting

  • 1975

    Returned to duty following conversion

  • 1983

    Transferred to RNLI Reserve Fleet

  • 1988

    Sold out of service

  • 2012

    Purchased by present owner

  • May 2015

    Launched after a 2.5 year restoration


  • June 2013

    A Sustainability Award of £1000 towards the costs of restoration was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

St Andrew

Registered, built 1951 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Pentland 2021

Registered, built 1957 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Helen Smitton in her heyday

Registered, built 1910 by Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall

Joseph Soar - Steaming to Douarnenez, France

Registered, built 1962 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight