Previous names

  • Yoko
  • Maid of Troy III
Certificate no 2720
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Bromsgrove
Vessel type Watson Class Lifeboat
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes
Built in 1938
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 0
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Unknown
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
41.00 feet (12.50 m)
Breadth: Beam
11.50 feet (3.51 m)
Tonnage: Gross
14.50
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Depth
To be confirmed

History

EDMUND AND MARY ROBINSON was built as a Watson 41 lifeboat in 1938 by Groves & Gutteridge of Cowes, Isle of Wight. She is a vessel of double diagonal timber construction and, at the time of registration, was laid up ashore awaiting restoration as 'hull only' having been left derelict for approximately 30 years.

After her launch in 1938 she was appointed as the New Brighton lifeboat and remained there until 1950 having been launched 69 times and saved 80 lives.  She then became the reserve lifeboat when she was launched 45 times, saving 41 lives, including her finest hour in 1959 when she rescued all 8 crew from the MV HINDLEA in 104 mph winds, gaining the coxswain the RNLI's highest gallantry award.

At the time of registration, the conservation plan was to return her to bare wood, make good and paint and then construct a new superstructure from GRP over foam to a modified Rother 37 design.

Key dates

  • 1938

    Built by Groves & Gutteridge in Cowes, Isle of Wight as a Lifeboat for the RNLI

  • 1938-1950

    Served as the No 2 New Brighton Lifeboat being launched 69 times and saving 80 lives

  • 1950-1964

    Served as a Reserve Lifeboat being launched 45 times and saving 41 lives

  • 1959

    Her finest hour when in 104 MPH winds and 40 ft seas she rescued all 8 crew of the MV Hindlea off Anglesey.  The Coxswain was awarded the RNLI’s Gold Medal with Silver and Bronze Medals for the rest of the crew

  • 1961

    The Queen presented all five lifeboatmen with the Silver Medal for Gallantry at Sea

  • 1964

    Sold out of service to Commander AJR Hudson of Swansea and renamed Maid of Troy III and used as a Pleasure Vessel.  Also twin 35HP Weyburn 6 Cylinder petrol engines replaced with twin 57HP Parsons 4  Cylinder Diesels

  • C1970

    Superstructure removed and converted into a liveaboard vessel

  • C1980

    Renamed Yoko and used as a Dive Support vessel in Swansea Bay

  • C1990

    Acquired by Mr L Brennan of Worcester and renamed Maid of Troy III

  • 2009

    Acquired by R W Davis & Sons Ltd who intended to restore her

  • 2013

    Acquired by present owner

  • 2015

    Vessel is thought to be awaiting restoration in Bromsgrove, Worcestshire

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Helen Smitton in her heyday

Registered, built 1910 by Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall

Stadats on yard Slipway at Robertsons, Woodbridge - Winter 2018

Registered, built 1921 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

JESSE LUMB lifeboat under cover

National Historic Fleet, built 1939 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Moored bow port view

Registered, built 1930 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight