Previous names

  • Prunella
  • Saudades
Certificate no 3006
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Brightlingsea
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Taylor & Bates, James, Chertsey
Built in 1927
Hull material Wood
Rig Bermudan Ketch
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.72 m)
Breadth: Beam
10.25 feet (3.12 m)
3.25 feet (0.99 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



MARALIA was built as a yacht of teak carvel construction.  Modified during war service by addition of an auxiilliary wing engine and a wheelhouse.  She was designed for extended cruising and her interior layout is exceptional. Her present owner aimed to restore her to seaworthy condition and make her as near her original internal layout as possible.

MARALIA is one of only 2 known surviving motor yachts designed by Higley Halliday, the other being 'Seran' and was commissioned by Mr F. h Muirehead Esq.  At 45' she is one of Halidays largest commissioned motor yachts.  She was reviewed by Motor Boat magazine both before and after launch in which they noted that the chief feature of her design was the placement of the engine forward of the main accommodation. In 1933 she was re-engined with a Thornycroft 70hp diesel.  She was modified likely by the war department when she was requisitioned between 1942-47 with the addition of an auxiliary wing engine and a wheelhouse.  She was designed for extended cruising and her interior layout is exceptional, she has a full 6'3" head room throughout.  She was equipped with a full galley, seperate bathroom and heads.  Berths for 5 in three cabins.  Mr Halliday cited her as being his favourite and most capable of the moderate size vessels he had designed.

In October 2020 it was reported that MARALIA was up for sale via Classic Yacht Brokers.

Key dates

  • 1927

    Built by Taylor & Bates, Chertsey

  • 1942/1947

    Requisitioned for war service

  • 1947

    Listed as having 2 engines and a wheelhouse

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this


Registered, built 1912 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Hampton

RUMMY III - Returned to wartime colours

Registered, built 1935 by Staniland & Co, Thorne

Sailing at Sotton Boat Show, port side view

Archived, built 1936 by Camper & Nicholsons Ltd, Gosport

Token in heyday

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath