Previous names

  • 1937 - 1939 ANAURUS
  • 1939 - 1944 MARKEN
  • 1944 - 2018 ANAURUS
Certificate no 3541
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Newport
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Fox C & Sons, Ipswich
Built in 1937
Hull material Wood
Rig Schooner
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type


Breadth: Beam
11.90 feet (3.63 m)
5.17 feet (1.57 m)
Air Draft
8.00 feet (2.44 m)
Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.72 m)
Tonnage: Gross


ANAURUS was built in 1937 for Commander Richard William Vandelear Beatty, Admiral Beatty's nephew - Admiral Beatty being the victor of the Battle of Jutland.  Her official number was 165037.  The Beatty family were in the Netherlands in 1939 to celebrate the jubilee of Queen Wilhelmina when Commander Beatty was ordered to come home with the Red Cross due to submarines in the channel.  Subsequently, the Germans used ANAURUS as a gunboat between 1939-1944 and re-named her Marken, being captured by the Canadians in 1944.  From 1939 - 1944 the vessel was German gunboat Marken, recaptured by Canadians in 1944.  She was handed back to the Beatty family in 1946.

She was bought by a private owner in September 2004, three weeks after she had sunk at her mooring and she has been rebuilt, now as a floating home.



The Motor Boat: an Aftercockpit 45 footer
The Motor Boat: Living Afloat - how to do it in comfort

Key dates

  • 1937

    Built by C Fox & Sons, Ipswich

  • 1939 -45

    Used as a patrol vessel in the Zuider Zee by Germany

  • 1946

    Rebuilt in Woodbridge

  • 1947-1956

    Used as a houseboat

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G

Delfino on mooring at Rhu

Registered, built 1965 by Atrill & Sons, H