Built by William Osbourne in 1952, the 41 ft Watso non-self-righting motor lifeboat was designed for stations which required a larger and more powerful boat but which could not accommodate the larger Watson types through boathouse or slipway constraints. 13 were built between 1933 and 1952.
ST ANDREW ( RNLI No. ON 897) was the last Watson 41 to be built and was the forerunner of the Watson 42, introduced in 1954. The earlier Watson 41s had a forward shelter and an aft cockpit, both being constructed in mahogany. The last four 41s to be built, however, were built with one cockpit aft containing the wheel, engine controls, shelter for eight crew and access to the engine room. These later cockpits were constructed in aluminium. A hatch forward led to the survivors’ cabin.
She was stationed at Whitehills from March 1952 to December 59, where she became a reserve until 1961 where she was stationed in Girvan until 1968. She was them moved to Arklow until 1973 and finally sold out of service in 1982.
Built by William Osbourne
Stationed at – Whitehills 9/3/52 to December 59
Reserve 1959 to 1961 and 1973 to 1982
Stationed at Arklow until1973
Sold out of service
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com