Certificate no 416
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Weybridge
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Rampart, Southampton
Built in 1937
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
8.98 feet (2.74 m)
Depth
4.30 feet (1.31 m)
Length: Overall
40.00 feet (12.20 m)
Tonnage: Gross
16.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

LADY LOU is a motor yacht built in 1937 by Ramparts, Southampton. She has a composite hull of pitch pine planking on bent oak timbers, pitch pine stringers and grown oak floors suspending a 1 ton iron keel. During the Second World War, she took part in the Dunkirk evacuation of 1940, ferrying troops to ships waiting offshore. After the war she was returned to her original owner Parkestone. In 1953 she was on the Thames before being sold in 1959 to owners who kept her on the Thames for another 20 years. She was then bought again and was based on the Thames at Shepperton.

We are lacking information about this vessel.  If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

 

Sources

Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
Classic Boat: St George's Crossing, August 2000
Classic Boat: Lady Lou, June 1998

Key dates

  • 1937

    Vessel built by Ramparts, Southampton

     

  • 1940

    Vessel took part in the Dunkirk evacuation

     

     

     

  • 1953

    Vessel under private ownership and based on the Thames

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Albaquila sailing

Registered, built 1947 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G