- 1929 - 1969 Cecil & Lilian Philpott
Built in 1929 by J Samuel White of Cowes, Isle of Wight, STENOA is a lifeboat launched with the name CECIL AND LILIAN PHILPOT. Her hull is double diagonal built of mahogany and her current engines are twin Ford 4SD 72 hp. She was on station at Newhaven from 1930 to 1960 and was in the RNLI reserve fleet until 1969. In her service years, she was launched 235 times and saved 148 lives. She attended the Dunkirk evacuations during World War II. She was sold out of service in 1969 to her present owner, renamed STENOA and has been used as a family cruiser since then. In 1997, she had a bowsprit, main and mizzen mast fitted.
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
ADLS News: Fleet news, pp12, Spring 2015
Classic Boat: On of the Finest on the East Coast, July 1999
Vessel selected for Avenue of Sail, Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org