SEAGULL II, Thames barge, was built in 1901 by Gill & Sons, Rochester, for the War Department. She is half the size of normal craft of her type and her purpose was to carry ordnance and stores in Pembroke dockyard. She did this until 1930 when she was sold and became a private yacht back in the Thames Estuary before becoming an architectural feature on Free Trade Wharf Wapping in 1988. Sold in 1999 for restoration at Gillingham to her current owner, this was estimated to be continuing until 2010. In 2008, she moved to the dry dock at The Medway Cruising Club to undergo a major rebuild, during which everything was being replaced except the flat bottom.
Old Gaffer's Association Member's Handbook and Boat Archive, 1993
World Ship Society British Armed Forces Small Craft Historical Society, Survivors Register, 1998
Built by Gill & Sons, Rochester, for the War Department
Carried ordinance and stores in Pembroke Dockyard
Sold to Gil Winfield to become a private yacht
Sailed to the Mediterranean via Paris and French canals
Became an architectural feature on Free Trade Wharf, Wapping
Sold to private owner for restoration at Gillingham
Moved to the dry dock at The Medway Cruising Club for a major rebuild
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com